Whole Foods Market has about 476 stores as on 20 January, 2019. California has the most number of Whole Foods market locations with 88 stores, followed by Texas and Massachusetts.
There are a total of 3,514 Kroger Company KR 28.1 -0.2 -0.7% stores in the United States (as of December 31, 2019), which makes them the second largest retailer after Walmart. They seem to be the only chain able to give Amazon-backed Whole Foods a competition when it comes to number of stores.
Insights in brief
- Kroger stores are predominant in Midwestern and Southern United States.
- Cincinnati, where Kroger is headquartered, is the city with most number of stores.
Number of Kroger stores by State
Graph above shows the top 15 states with most number of Kroger stores.
Kroger has stores in 42 states, with the most number of stores in California. Delaware and District of Columbia with 4 stores each are states with least number of stores.
Cities with most number of Kroger stores
Graph above shows top 15 cities with the most number of stores.
Kroger has 40 and 37 stores in Cincinnati and Columbus respectively, both cities are in Ohio which happens to be their home state as well.
Plotted map below shows Kroger’s store locations:
Kroger Stores are located only in 3 out of 9 Northeastern states. They have a low percentage of stores in highly populated states like – California, Texas, Florida, New York and Illinois compared to their competitors.
Some of Kroger’s main competitors are Costco, Target, Walmart, and Whole Foods. Below are their comparison maps.
Kroger vs Walmart
- Walmart has 4,703 stores.
- Walmart has stores in all 50 states but Kroger is present in 42 states.
Kroger vs Costco
- Costco has 533 stores in the country.
- Costco has 24% and 5.8% of their total stores in highly populated states like California and Texas respectively.
Kroger vs Target
- There are 1,853 Target stores in the U.S.
- Target has 15.5% and 8% of their total stores in highly populated states like California and Texas respectively.
Kroger vs Whole Foods
- Whole Foods has 476 stores in the country.
- Whole Foods has 18% and 7% of their total stores in highly populated states like California and Texas respectively.
The Grocery Race – Kroger, Amazon, Walmart
Amazons entry into the grocery game has forced companies to look for ways to ensure that they don’t get left behind in the competition. While Walmart has decided on tackling this by increasing their online presence, one-day deliveries, and store pick-ups. Kroger has taken another approach, partnering with Microsoft’s Azure on a technology front to help out with its cloud computing needs. While Microsoft is competing with Amazon Web Services, Kroger plans on creating digital shelves to increase their store efficiency with the help of Microsoft. This coupled with their same-day grocery delivery through self-driving cars will help boost sales.
Kroger may not have as many stores like Walmart, but over the years they have acquired more than 27 chains which have helped them increase their footprint in certain states without even opening a store there. Kroger partnered with Ocado to build at least 20 grocery warehouses powered by robots, giving them an edge over both Walmart and Amazon-owned Whole Foods who are yet to look into fully automated stores.